Etiquette For Wakesurfing With Friends
It’s summertime and the invites from friends to go ride are going to start coming in and you will likely be stoked to go wakesurfing for the first time. Chances are your friend is pumped to have you come out and go riding. That said, there are a few things you should know before you get on-board and leave all your cares at the dock. After all, if you show your respect and awareness, you’re far more likely to get invited back the next time your friend decides to hit the lake.
- Offer Up Some Gas Money: “The boat runs on gas, not Thanks…” We’ve all heard someone use that tired phrase, but it’s true. Gas is expensive. So sometime during your day out on the water, make sure and hand your friend some cash. Depending on how long you guys are on the water, $10 or $20 will positively show your appreciation and you will most likely get the call next time they’re heading out.
- Do NOT Invite Others Without Permission: Have you been invited to go riding on your friend’s boat this summer? Great! While you’re welcome to share with others how excited you are, it’s not cool to invite others along unless you were given explicit permission from your friend that it’s OK.
- Bring Your Own Life Jacket: Often times the boat owner will have enough life jackets on-board, but you shouldn’t always expect them to. If you plan to start spending any amount of time on the water, a good quality life jacket is a worthy investment. Not to mention, you could get a ticketed for not having one, which doesn’t bode well for getting you invited back.
- Bring Your Own Towel: While a lot of boaters do bring extra towels for guests, you cannot count on it. It’s a really good idea to bring your own towel so you don’t have to sit around waiting to air dry, and you can help keep the upholstery from getting too wet where you’re sitting.
- Bring Your Own Snacks: You will get hungry out on the water, plain and simple. From the hot sun to your level of activity, water and munchies are a must. Don’t plan on mooching off your friends for food and drinks. Always be sure to pack your own cooler with snacks and drinks, and yes this includes bringing your own beer.
- Don’t Smoke: Boating is one instance where you’ll need to leave your habit at the dock. The modern surf boat is no small investment and a cigarette burn in the upholstery is not only likely to get you uninvited, but it might get you dropped off at the dock early.
- Don’t Hog Ride Time: Whether there’s 3 people on the boat, or ten, you don’t want to be the one that spends longer on the water than anyone else. If you’re not sure what an acceptable time behind the boat is, just ask. Speak with your friend beforehand or let a few others go before you and you’ll figure it out.
- Be On Time: Did your friend say to be at the dock at 8:30? Be sure you arrive around 8:15. That way they won’t be waiting on you, it will give you a chance to offer help launching the boat, etc.
- Help Wipe the Boat Down: Often guests will thank their friend for a fun day but will take off after that. Go the extra mile and ask your friend if they could use some help wiping down their boat, inside and out. Not only will you practically guarantee yourself an invitation back, you’ll score some big brownie points for future adventures on the water.
Just because it’s your first time at the lake with your friends doesn’t mean you need to act like a noob. Using the tips above, make sure you respect your friend, their friends, their boat, and everyone’s time. No doubt you’ll become a regular for on the water fun.
With summer right around the corner it is time for everyone to get out on the water and do some wakeboarding. Sure, your local lake may be a great place to go but sometimes it’s time for a change of scenery. Here are 10 wakeboarding destinations in the United States that any avid wakeboarder should get out to. Lake [...]
We have many customers call and ask us about the advantages of using LEDs for boat lighting, what colors they should choose, how many lights to install etc.. There are many features that make LED lights superior for underwater led boat and dock lighting. Here are some items to consider.Longevity:LED’s have no filaments in them [...]
If уоu like tо wаkеѕkаtе, waterski or wаkеbоаrd аnd you hарреn to livе ѕоmеwhеrе in thе north, chances аrе соmе wintеr, you'll have tо givе uр wakeboarding fоr a couple of mоnthѕ unless уоu dесidе to mоvе ѕоuth. And when the waters аrе once аgаin ripe fоr riding уоu mау find thаt уоur skills hаvе [...]
The majority of us do not think about lights too much until we flip a switch and absolutely nothing occurs. However on your boat, unless it is relatively new, most likely the lights aboard are inconveniencing you a lot more than you understand, even though you are not changing burnt-out light bulbs every once in [...]
The Ambiance of Light Have you ever been to one of those places where it just felt great? Everything was perfect? The location… the food… the drinks… the company… and you set there and enjoyed the day turn into night near the water? I know I have. But I have to tell you a story about one of my [...]
While boating in the day time might be fun, nothing matches the excitement and thrill of boating at night. Whether you are wakesurfing or simply going out for an after hours drive, having quality underwater boat lights are essential for keeping you and others on the water safe, while also providing an outstanding aesthetic touch. For [...]
The Lifeform LED lineup of underwater boat lights is by far one of the best all around products of their kind on the market today. From the classic Lifeform 6 LED and Lifeform 9 LED lights, these exterior lighting accessories have been lighting up boats for everyone to see for years now. One of the best products [...]
Summer is upon us and it's officially the perfect time to get the boat out on the water. Unfortunately, there are many other boaters who have the same thought as your on their mind as the temperature rises, which can make for a busy lake or reservoir. One of the more fun alternatives to beating the crowds [...]
While it may not seem like much on the surface, the wakeboard is a very intricately detailed piece of equipment that has many features which factor into its function. Understanding each of these elements is key to selecting the right board for you. From material, shape, size, and weight, there are plenty of things to [...]