"LED boat lights:" Are they good for fishing?

"LED boat lights:" Are they good for fishing?

LIFEFORM LED on 2nd Mar 2014

The best LED boat lights for fishing?

Over the past 3-5 years LED boat lighting has experienced a surge of interest within the fishing industry. In fact, we are beginning to see an influx of calls from fisherman asking about the benefits of LED lights for their fishing vessels. We made a list of the most frequently asked questions.

  1. What makes LED lights better suited for my vessel?
  2. What LED light color is best for fishing?
  3. Will the LED lights help me attract bait fish around my boat?

We will attempt to answer each of these questions in this post. So, here we go.


1. Why are LED lights better for my fishing vessel?

Whether you’re fishing on a quiet inland lake, or out on the open ocean there are a variety of different product features that make underwater LED boat lights better suited for any vessel. Here are some of the key features and benefits they give to boaters:

Longevity: Most high quality underwater LED boat lights have a lifespan of 40,000+ hours. This equates to 4.5 years of continual light output. This saves boaters time and money in the long run.

Efficiency: LED boat lights will convert 80% of electrical energy into light output. On the other hand, traditional light bulbs typically only convert 20% of electrical energy into light output, losing the other 80% as heat. This efficiency allows LEDs to stay cool and run longer.

Durability: This is a big one. LED lights are resistant to shock, vibrations and heavy impacts making them perfect for aquatic environments where they are exposed to weather and rough conditions.

Instant Output: Unlike other light bulbs, LEDs power up to full brightness instantly. Boaters can also turn our LED boat lights on and off as much as they like without fear of compromising the lifespan of their lights.

Power Draw: LED boat lights draw less power from your boat. This saves your battery, and allows you to stay out on the water longer. 

2. What LED light color is best for fishing?

The consensus tends to indicate that green and white lights will attract the most bait fish at night. Green ha the shortest wavelength and is the best color for penetration in fresh water lakes and other inter coastal waterways. In areas with poor visibility, green will also make the water appear cleaner and reflect less particulate.

Please note. Be careful if you are using both interior and exterior LED lighting for your boat. If you decide to put green and white LED lights within the interior of your vessel you will have thousands of bugs swarming you in seconds. I personally prefer to have green and white LED’s placed on the exterior of my boat, slightly submerged. This not only helps attract more bait fish but also helps with overall visibility and keeps the bugs out of the boat. Red works best for interior lighting.

Also, make sure you boat is anchored when you begin to fish. This will allow the bait fish to stay close to the submerged LED lights. If the boat is moving the fish won’t be able to keep up, and you’ll lose a significant amount of the bait fish in the process.

3. Will LED lights help me attract bait fish around my boat?

The quick answer is yes. LED boat lights are proven to attract swarms of bait fish and insects around the hull of the boat. As mentioned above, using white or green lights slightly submerged (about 3-6 inches) will generate a ton of bait fish activity.

Green LED lights have one of the shortest wavelengths in the color spectrum, meaning that it will penetrate further through the water before it scatters. In turn, zooplankton is attracted to this green light and will quickly swim to the surface to pursue the light source. Bait fish such as shrimp and squid will chase the zooplankton to the surface. Then, the predatory game fish that we’re after follow in pursuit. The LEDs set off a food chain reaction which delivers game fish right to the boat.

Take Away

Underwater LED boat lights are great for any fishing vessel. The best LED colors for attracting bugs and bait fish are green and white. Blue is also a nice color as well. It has a short wavelength, and generates a vibrant and crisp light effect in the nighttime water.

I hope this article sheds some light on why LED lights are being put into use on more and more fishing vessels.